Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Two of My Favorite Things

Oh, Papa

My affinity for Ernest Hemingway runs deep. I love his writing style, the crazy stories about his life's adventures and his books.

To me, The Old Man And The Sea is as close to literary perfection as a writer can attain. In my own writing I try to live by his journalism-driven mantra of finding the perfect sentence; using words sparingly and precisely.

If you ever wander over to my baseball blog you'll find another item I'm passionate about (these take a close second to the author of this blog).

Here is a great read in the New York Times that reflects everything I love about Hemingway. He was a brilliant man. At times Hemingway could be a great father and at times horrific as a parent. He was a womanizer, yet romantic. He was an artist, but still a hunting, boxing, football, swearing manly man. He was rich, yet loved the idea of the poor and downtrodden (and, while generous, never really helping anyone out but himself). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really loved that article. And I need to reread The Old Man and the Sea.